Strong start to the awards season underpinned by success at the Ultimate Spirits Challenge
Irish Distillers, the makers of the worlds most enjoyed whiskeys, has scooped a remarkable 11 Double Gold medals at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2019 the strongest-ever haul for the family of Irish whiskeys crafted at Midleton Distillery, County Cork.
The prestigious competition honoured the Jameson family with six Double Gold medals including for new release, Jameson Bow Street 18 Years Cask Strength while the Redbreast and Midleton ranges collected three and two Double Gold medals respectively.
Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength claimed its fourth double gold medal in a row, continuing the Redbreast legacy as the most decorated single pot still Irish whiskey in the world.
Success in San Francisco followed stand-out performances for the Midleton portfolio at the Ultimate Spirits Challenge earlier this month, where new whiskeys Red Spot and Jameson Bow Street 18 Years Cask Strength stole the show scoring 98 and 97 points respectively. Following a near-perfect score, Red Spot which was re-introduced in November 2018 after 50 years was awarded the Chairmans Trophy for the single pot still Irish whiskey category.
Commenting on the strong start to the 2019 awards season, Master Distiller Brian Nation commented: We are delighted to see such excellent results for Irish Distillers, with recognition at the highest level right across the portfolio. The results are a true reflection of the passion, innovation and determination of the talented team at Midleton and hopefully signal the beginning of an exciting awards season. We look forward to further success throughout 2019!
Founded in 2000, the San Francisco World Spirits Competition is one of the oldest spirits tasting competitions of its kind. With nearly two decades of experience, they have fine-tuned their operation blending passion and professionalism. A blind tasting process guarantees that every entry is judged fairly and given equal consideration.
The Ultimate Beverage Challenge is one of the definitive spirits and wine evaluation companies in the world. Its two world-class competitions, Ultimate Spirits Challenge and Ultimate Wine Challenge, provide unparalleled value, offering results that are reliable and easily understandable in todays marketplace.
Notes to Editors
Full results from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2019:
- Jameson Caskmates IPA Edition Double Gold Medal
- Jameson Crested Irish Whiskey Double Gold Medal
- Jameson Black Barrel Irish Whiskey Double Gold Medal
- Jameson 18 Year Old Irish Whiskey Double Gold
- Jameson Bow Street 18 Year Old Irish Whiskey Double Gold
- Jameson Coopers Croze Irish Whiskey Double Gold
- Midleton Very Rare 2018 Irish Whiskey Double Gold
- Midleton Dair Ghaelach Bluebell Forest Single Pot Still Double Gold
- Redbreast Lustau Single Pot Still Double Gold
- Redbreast 12 Year Old Cask Strength Double Gold
- Redbreast 21 Year Old Single Pot Still Double Gold
- Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition Gold Medal
- Jameson Signature Irish Whiskey Gold Medal
- Jameson Blenders Dog Irish Whiskey Gold Medal
- Red Spot Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey Gold Medal
- Redbreast 15 Year Old Single Pot Still Gold Medal
- Powers Johns Lane 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey Gold Medal
- Jameson Irish Whiskey Silver Medal
- Jameson Distillers Safe Silver Medal
- Green Spot Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey Silver Medal
- Yellow Spot Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey Silver Medal
- Redbreast 12 Year Old Single Pot Still Silver Medal
- Powers Three Swallow Release Single Pot Still Silver Medal
- Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey Silver Medal
Full results from the Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2019:
- Red Spot Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey 98 Chairmans Trophy
- Redbreast Cask Strength 12 Years Old Single Pot Still 97 Tried & True Award
- Jameson Bow Street Cask Strength (Batch 1) 18 Years Old 97 Chairmans Trophy
- Jameson 18 Years Old 96 Tried & True Award
- Redbreast 21 Years Old Single Pot Still 96 Tried & True Award
- Redbreast 15 Years Old Single Pot Still 95 Tried & True Award
- Powers Johns Lane 12 Years Old Single Pot Still 95 Finalist
- Jameson Black Barrel 94 Finalist
- Green Spot Chateau Montelena Single Pot Still 94 finalist
- Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition 94 finalist
- Redbreast Lustau Edition Single Pot Still 94 Tried & True Award
- Powers Gold Label Blended 93 finalist
- Midleton Dair Ghaelach Bluebell Forest Single Pot Still 93
- Green Spot Chateau Leoville Barton Single Pot Still 93
- Yellow Spot Single Pot Still 93
- Jameson Signature Blended 92
- Jameson Coopers Croze 92
- Jameson Blenders Dog 92
- Midleton Very Rare 2018 92
- Powers Three Swallow Release 92
- Jameson Crested 89
- Jameson Distillers Safe 89
- Jameson Blended Irish Whiskey 89
- Redbreast 12 Years Old Single Pot Still 87
- Jameson Caskmates IPA Edition 86
About Irish Distillers
Irish Distillers is Irelands leading supplier of spirits and wines and producer of the worlds most well-known and successful Irish whiskeys. Led by Jameson, our brands are driving the global renaissance of Irish whiskey. Jameson is the worlds fastest-growing Irish whiskey, experiencing 29 years of consecutive growth and hitting sales of 7.3m cases in 2018. Our brands are exported to 130+ markets, with over 80 of those experiencing double- or triple-digit growth.
Irish Distillers was formed in 1966, when a merger took place between John Power & Son, John Jameson & Son and Cork Distilleries Company. In 1988 Irish Distillers joined Pernod Ricard, gaining access to unprecedented levels of investment and an extensive global distribution network. Since 2012, we have invested over 250m to double our production and bottling capacity to meet global demand for our products.
We employ over 600 people across our operations in Cork and Dublin.
About Pernod Ricard
Pernod Ricard is the worlds n°2 in wines and spirits with consolidated Sales of 8,987 million in FY18. Created in 1975 by the merger of Ricard and Pernod, the Group has undergone sustained development, based on both organic growth and acquisitions: Seagram (2001), Allied Domecq (2005) and Vin&Sprit (2008). Pernod Ricard holds one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the sector: Absolut Vodka, Ricard pastis, Ballantines, Chivas Regal, Royal Salute and The Glenlivet Scotch whiskies, Jameson Irish whiskey, Martell cognac, Havana Club rum, Beefeater gin, Malibu liqueur, Mumm and Perrier-Jouët champagnes, as well Jacobs Creek, Brancott Estate, Campo Viejo and Kenwood wines. Pernod Ricard employs a workforce of approximately 18,900 people and operates through a decentralised organisation, with 6 Brand Companies and 86 Market Companies established in each key market. Pernod Ricard is strongly committed to a sustainable development policy and encourages responsible consumption. Pernod Ricards strategy and ambition are based on 3 key values that guide its expansion: entrepreneurial spirit, mutual trust and a strong sense of ethics.
Pernod Ricard is listed on Euronext (Ticker: RI; ISIN code: FR0000120693) and is part of the CAC 40 index.